Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Flag Day!

As I drove into the church parking lot this morning and saw the flag, I remembered that today, June 14th, is Flag Day. As I thought about the day, I wondered what is the importance of Flag Day? Flag Day is the occasion where we celebrate the adoption of the American flag on June 14, 1777.

When the flag was adopted in 1777 the colors red, white and blue did not have any specific meaning. However, the colors red, white and blue were also used on the first Great Seal of the nation, which was commissioned on July 4, 1776. For the seal, white represented purity and innocence, red represented valor, and blue represented perseverance and justice.

Today, as I observed the red, white and blue flag, it reminded me that I have the privilege of living in a land of freedom. A freedom that was purchased with the blood of the patriots through the generations!

No comments:

Post a Comment